Friday, May 6, 2016

MAYrathon Day 6: Botan Rice Candy

I need a treat.

While I've enjoyed my first week in the MAYrathon of MAYhem (That's a twofer!). The last two things I've consumed have either consisted of cheetos made of dead shrimp or "juice" made of stupid celery. But the weekend is upon us and I'd like to kick it off with a sweet Asian treat. I'm talking, of course, about Botan Rice Candy.

I tried to do some digging on what a Botan is, but all that came up were different images of some blue haired anime guy. Upon further investigation, it seems that Botan is the name of the Japanese peony blossom but also named after some type of citrus flavoring used in Asian candies to simulate citrus flavorings. But who cares what it's called or what it tastes like; the reason I wanted this weekend treat is because the box promises a FREE CHILDREN'S STICKER INSIDE!!! Hell...freakin...YES! I'm going to crack open this little box and see what life changing adhesive will become a permanent part of my face.
Asian Lance Bass

After thirteen hours of parading up and down the streets of Chicago sporting my new sticker, I decided to pour out the rest of the contents of my box into my hand. I was taken aback to discover six individually wrapped, red sucking candies. I guess with the name Rice Candy, I expected like a sweet rice cake or a packet of soy sauce. This was unexpected. 


But who cares...I got my sticker. Nothing's gonna bring me down! Let's unwrap one of these suckers and see what they taste like. Two more surprises - it's wrapped in a second layer of rice paper, which I ate and now probably have chlamydia, and it's a soft, chewy candy.  It's not too bad. I'd equate it to the taste of a Gushers fruit snack without the gooey center. Decent candy. BADASS sticker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment