Tuesday, May 31, 2016

MAYrathon Day 31 (Finale): A Brief, Non-researched History of Surge



After 31 days of sodas, juices, fruits and fish, I knew there was only one way I could end this marathon. One soda, above all other sodas, that I knew wouldn't be a disappointment. I wanted to end on a high note, and nothing else brings that euphoria, that pure and total satisfaction for me more than Surge soda. What follows is a brief recalling of my own personal history with Surge. I decided to go straight from memory, so the dates and other factual information may be a little off, but this is what I remember. Some people love dogs. Some people love board games. Me: I love Surge.

Do you remember the Surge commercials? If you don't here's a look at one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTY8hrvFck8

Surge was the new kid on the block when I was in middle school, and it was unlike anything I'd ever seen before. Those crazy, in-your-face commercials were my first introduction to the delicious citrus flavored soda. It was a pop for my generation. Not stale and boring like Coke or Pepsi, and not played out like Mountain Dew. No, this was something hip. Something you wanted to be seen drinking by your peers. It was more than just a new soda; it was a status symbol. We never had much soda in the house growing up, but after witnessing those commercials, I begged my mom to buy me some Surge. When she finally relented, I grabbed a glass with some ice and poured the ambrosia into my cup. I was shocked to see the bright neon green color. Unlike anything I had witnessed before. This was also pre-energy drinks, so at the time, it was the highest caffeine content provided by a soft drink.

From that first taste, I was addicted. I remember the joy of having a can of Surge packed in my lunch. Talking about the commercials with my friends and imitating the classic "SUUUURGE" call. They even had a tie in with WCW. If Surge was my favorite thing in middle school, than wrestling was definitely my second favorite. To see Ric Flair battling Booker T in an uncensored with a Surge  refrigerator in the background was the greatest thing in the word (I hadn't quite discovered girls yet). Surge was even the first can to introduce the wide-mouth lid that is commonplace in all sodas today. With that extra lip space, I could gobble down my Surge even faster! Surge and I were going to be best buddies for life; I just knew it!


As I got older, Surge began to be around less and less in my favorite stores and restaurants. I don't remember when I found out officially, but I had learned that Coca Cola was slowly beginning to phase out Surge from their lineups due to poor sales. In my senior year of high school, it became a rare treat to see Surge on the menu. And by then it was only in Fountain Drink form - cans and bottles were completely eliminated from stores. It was like an old friend slowly wasting away before my very eyes. I remember the last time I ever saw it. It was on a serving tray at a Steak N Shake during my freshman year of college at Western Michigan University. My eyes immediately light up upon seeing the familiar logo. I asked her for a glass and she paused and told me she had to check in the back. I was in luck as she relayed that we had just a little syrup left and they weren't getting anymore as Coke has stopped shipping it. I sat there enjoying my tasty treat not realizing it would be my last for over a decade.

So that was it. Surge was done. But for some reason, I never quite gave up on the green goodness. If you look back on my Facebook, my very first profile picture was that of the Surge logo. I also belonged to a website called Save Surge which tried and failed to bring it back in the mid 00s. I even contemplated ponying up the $80 it would take to have Norway's Urge (Coke continued the brand in this country under a different name and color) to my house just for one more fix of that familiar flavor. Both Coke and Pepsi attempted other "extreme" citrus sodas to fill the void such as MD-X and Vault, and though similar, they just didn't fill the void. Both were cancelled soon after their inception. As time went on, I began to give up hope of Coca Cola every bringing it back.


All was quiet until around 2012 or so when I stumbled across the Facebook page, The Surge Movement. This was a group that was truly passionate about bringing Surge back to the point where they even bought a billboard and placed it right outside of Coca Cola's headquarters in Georgia. These guys were relentless and eventually even got a meeting with the higher ups at Coke to discuss the future. Then in 2014, the most unlikely thing happened, it was announced that Surge was coming back exclusively through Amazon. I couldn't get online fast enough. Unfortunately, the demand was so high that they sold out of their entire stock in hours. Luckily, my friends Andy and Scott knew what a big fan I was and Scott was kind enough to give a can to Andy to share with me. The picture to my left is me about to try Surge for the first time in twelve years. I was happy as a pig in s%^$, and the minute that familiar green fizzy liquid came out of the can and embraced my tongue, I was reborn once again! The impossible had been made possible!

Which brings up to the present day. Since being introduced through Amazon, Surge began to make its way to stores and gas stations across the nation. While only available in solo 16 oz cans, it is certainly better than nothing. The gas station next to my parents' house sells it, and I always make sure to stock up every time I visit home. It was around the middle of the month that I realized I wanted to do a Surge review to end my MAYrathon. Surge, however, hadn't made its way to most of the Chicago area, so I threw one of the unopened cans I'd been saving in fridge in plans of drinking it on the 31st of the month. Well, as fate would have it, I stopped at my local 7-11 just yesterday and for the first time EVER, Surge was on the shelf. FRESH SURGE! Like the stupid dogs in Homeward Bound, Surge had followed me home. Now, it may sound silly to some of you that a grown adult could be so obsessed with a soda, and it probably is, but I'm just glad to have it back.

Thanks for joining me on this 31 day journey of the weird and wonderful. I'll be back soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment