Saturday, May 13, 2017

MAYrathon 2.0 Day 13 - PayDay Candy Bar with BBQ Sauce?


This will be a quick one, as I’m home in Michigan to celebrate Mother’s Day. This one was also not on the original schedule, but I happened by it at my grocery store a few days ago and HAD to pick it up. A BBQ sauce flavored candy bar? And this isn’t from some crazy yokels like the folks that made Not See Kola. This is a Hershey's product!

If you’ve never seen or heard of a PayDay before, it’s essentially a nougat log with roasted peanuts glued on using caramel. It’s pretty ok. I don’t think anyone has ever said it’s their favorite candy, but it’s edible. So why mess with what works and add BBQ sauce flavor? Apparently it’s part of Hershey’s new Flavors of America campaign which also includes a New York Cheesecake Hershey bar, a California Strawberry Kit-Kat and Hawaiian Coconut Hershey Kisses. Those all sound awesome, but I still can’t wrap my head around BBQ candy. Let’s give it a go.

The smell is undeniably peanuts and BBQ sauce. It’s still mainly a nougat bar, but the peanuts are dusted with red and orange spices. Let’s see what it taste like. I...I don’t know what to say. Let me try and explain the taste process as I’m chewing. “Gross...hmmm not bad...I like this...oops now it’s gross again...I’m going in for another bite.” And then the process repeats itself until the candy is gone and I’m in the fetal position ranting about the San Antonio Spurs. Definitely one of the strangest candies I’ve ever tried, but in a weird way, it almost works. I’m so confused…  

No comments:

Post a Comment