Tuesday, May 2, 2017

MAYrathon 2.0 Day Two - Tako (Octopus) Chips

Check yo' spelling, son! Some of you probably looked at the title and said, "Taco Chips? Have you gone soft in your old age, Matty Mac?" But no, we're taking a look at TAKO chips, as in octopus flavored chips from the famous Nongshim food company from Seoul, South Korea. Famous because they are one of the most recognizable brands of ramen noodles worshiped by college kids and street tramps alike. As I've stated before, I love octopus, so I am really excited to try these. Let's see what the company's website has to say about this product:
"Tako chips are made from yellow corvina. The fish and flour are combined to create the paste that shapes this delicious snack. Children are especially attracted to the tako shape."

I'm not really sure what to say to that. I guess I'm a little bummed that it doesn't include actual octopus, but I'm guessing yellow corvina is probably a cheap substitute or something. Looking at the
"I hope this becomes an octopus chip one day."
ingredients however, it DOES include both shrimp and octopus powder. I looked online to see what octopus powder is and it literally took me to a link about a potion in a Harry Potter video game: http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Octopus_Powder

The pink bag with the swimming octopus is cute enough, and apparently the shapes are made to look like fish and octopi/pus/puses.

So it's time to rip open the bag and see what yellow corvina and octopowder smells like. WHEEEW. It smells just like the Asian market where I got these from. It doesn't smell like your typical American corn chip product; this is pure seafood through and through. And it's weird to say, but I can totally smell the octopus in these chips. Let's taste...
It's...different from what I was expecting. The aftertaste is 100% seafood. But other than that, I would say it most resembles a slightly less sweet version of Kix cereal. Really. That's what I get out of this. That was pretty unexpected, but at least it didn't make me throw up corvina, so I'm putting this one in the win column! I'm going to go to the fridge and get the milk.







No comments:

Post a Comment