Monday, May 15, 2017

MAYrathon 2.0 Day 15 - Hot Lips Pear Soda


We're halfway through this marathon of mayhem and my liver/stomach/soul are all still intact. Today I'm looking at a pear soda. Though the list is shrinking, I will often come across a soda or juice flavor and wonder to myself if I've ever had it in soda/juice form. Plum and Watermelon are good, more recent examples. Pear first that category. I've had pear ciders before, but I don't know if I've ever had a pear pop. My opinion on pears are as follows: "Sure." I've never been excited nor disappointed coming across a pear. It exists and it's pretty OK. Much like Dominos Pizza. No one LOVES Dominos, but when it's around, sure, I'll have a slice.

This is another that's been in the fridge for awhile, and what I didn't notice until now is that it is a "Real Fruit Soda. All Natural. No Sugar Added. Lightly Sparkling." Pretty interesting that my first pear soda will come from an ACTUAL pear and not sugar and chemicals. This drink comes to us via the Hot Lips Soda Company out of Portland, Oregon. It's primarily a popular pizza chain in the area since 1984 but has been selling sodas recently as well. Here's what the bottle says: "Each delicious refreshing bottle of Hot Lips begins with fresh fruit picked at its peak from family farms in the Pacific NW. Delicately sweet with a floral and fruity aroma, our all-natural PEAR is light and balanced with soft, smooth bubbles." And the ingredients are simply: NW grown pears, NW pear juice concentrate, filtered sparking water, organic lemon juice and vanilla. I gotta say, I wasn't too excited to try a pear soda, but a natural soda with no added sugar? Could this be the soda alternative I need when my doctor smacks me in the face? Let's find out...

My one worry is because this is "organic" and it's been sitting in my fridge for a long time - is it safe to drink? Too late now, I've already opened this bottle! Definitely a pear smell. It smells like a pear pie which is weird because pear pies don't exist because you'd be thrown out of the family will for inventing such a thing. But if you made an apple pie and replaced the goodness with lame pears, that's what it smells like. (swig). Well if there every was any carbonation - it may have fizzled out with age because this is essentially pear juice. There's no bubbles at all. It's sweet, especially for having no additional sugars added, and very fresh. I think a fresher bottle would have tasted a little better as there's a bit of a fermentation aftertaste here - almost like a cider or mead. Not bad tough - I'd search for Hot Lips again...but she moved when I was in 9th grade and have no idea where she went...

I stand corrected...


No comments:

Post a Comment