Monday, May 8, 2017

MAYrathon 2.0 Day 8 - Johnnie Ryan Grape (Raisin) Soda

There has never existed a more punchable face...

I have a confession to make. This review was supposed to be about raisins, me hating raisins, and forcing myself to drink a raisin-flavored soda. That's why I picked Johnny Ryan's Grape/Raisin Soda at the store. It wasn't until I literally sat down to write this review that I realized the entire bottle was bi-lingual, written in both English and French. Quick Google translate later and I realize that raisin is actually the French word for grape. I've been bamboozled! There's nothing interesting about a grape soda. Well, it's already out of the fridge, so let's solider onward.

The reason for the bilingual bottle is that Johnnie Ryan Sodas are produced in Niagara Falls, New York. Turn left and it's a bunch of yanks speaking English and eating pizza and turn left and it's a polite syrup salesman arguing with a moose in French. I've never heard of this company before, so I did a little digging, but there's not much. It was created by three brothers in 1935 in Niagara Falls and soon became a local favorite. It's been off and on in production over the years, and like so many other sodas, it's a regional treasure in Western New York and parts of Canada. They also produce other common flavors like cola, ginger ale and root beer. And that's really all I could find. Let's drink!

I was expecting to drink one of my least favorite flavors today, so I think no matter what this grape soda tastes like, I'll be pleased. The smell is definitely grape soda. Similar to Fanta or pretty much every grape soda ever made. And the flavor is indeed grape soda, too. It's a bit more subtle than others I've tried, but it's sweet, grapey and refreshing. And 15% of your daily recommended carbohydrates. FRUIT!
PUNCH ME!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment