Friday, May 12, 2017

MAYrathon 2.0 Day 12 - Double Cola

Since I’m on a cola kick after trying King Kong Cola, I may as well go for broke with Double Cola. I mentioned earlier in the month that during this MAYrathon, I would be able to cross a few classic sodas off of my list that I’ve always wanted to try which brings us to Double Cola. Now while I said in my last review that all colas either taste like Coke/Pepsi or taste like ass, I have high hopes for this one as it has been around since 1933. I’ve known about the brand for a long time, and only recently learned that they also manufacture Ski soda, which I tried for the first time in April. I’m always fascinated by products that have lasted generations. I like to picture my great grandfather sitting around the kitchen and listening to Green Hornet on the radio while swigging a Double Cola. I just love that nostalgic feel.


So what’s the history of Double Cola? It’s long and boring, but here’s a few highlights.Run On Sentence Award Winner:  Charles D. Little founded the Good Grape Company in 1922 and produced a grape soda which later became the Marvel (No Iron Man sadly) Cola company which produced a purple soda called Jumbo which eventually took out the purple and became Double Cola (named so because it was 12 oz as opposed to the typical 6 oz sodas common at the time) which then in 1933 becomes the Seminole Flavor Company which then, in 1953 change their name to the Double Cola company based on the beverage that has become their flagship soda which then begins to own more regional soda flavors including Ski and their own Diet Double Cola which then changes ownership several times throughout the decades which then, while still a regional favorite mainly east of the Mississippi, has continued to be a local favorite and thrive since the early 30s. RUN ON SENTENCE FTW!!!!

So let’s get onto trying this bad boy. And like I said, unlike typical colas, I am excited to see what this one takes like. The bottle is a classic 12 oz glass with “Drink Double Cola” printed on the front and also informing us that it is Pure Cane Sugar Since 1933. Other than that, just the standard nutritional facts, website and vague ingredients. I break open the bottle (like a sexy wolverine) and it definitely has that typical cola scent, but it has a vague Pepsi smell which could be a good thing. Chug time - I hate to say it, but this tastes like freaking RC Cola. Yea...it’s pretty much RC Cola. Which sucks because RC Cola sucks. I had high hopes for this but I’m left feeling like my senior year homecoming when my date left with a taller, blonder man and I went bowling...Good times! I need a Surge.


No comments:

Post a Comment