Friday, May 26, 2017

MAYrathon 2.0 Day 26 - Ale-8-one


Ale-8-One. Or Ale-81. Or Ale-8. Or A-Late-One. Whatever you call it, this is one of the last few sodas on my must try mental list. This is just one of those pops I've seen throughout the years but have never tried it to the best of my knowledge. And I can see why too - until recently, it was only a regional soda based out of Kentucky until in 2016, when Cracker Barrel started selling it in their fountain machines. Since then, it's gained popularity far and wide, and while still only really distributed in the Kentucky area, it's pretty easy to find.
Ale-8-One is essentially a caffeinated ginger ale soda with citrus. Apparently the recipe is a highly guarded secret with only two living people aware of its composition. The back of the bottle comes with a little story too. Let's read: "Ale-8-One has been a Kentucky favorite since G.L. Wainscott blended the first batch in 1926. The name Ale-8-One or "A Late One" was adopted to describe the latest thing in soft drinks. Today, our unique mix of ginger and fruit is still made using the same secret recipe handed down from Mr. Wainscott." Kentucky locals, when done breedin' sheep and shuckin' corn, are known to mix it with local bourbons (Kentucky Cocktail) or vodka (Tender Lovin'). 

As I said, I'm genuinely excited for this one. I twist off the bottle and it's a shocking combination of both Mountain Dew and ginger ale. Both senses are prevalent and there's no denying that's what I smell. I never thought to mix those two flavors together, but maybe Kentucky is onto something here. Let's see...I'm surprised how much Mountain Dew flavor I get out of this. And not like some grocery store knock-off or Mello-Yello, this is straight up Mountain Dew with a bit of ginger. If you're a fan of Doing the Dew, then I would recommend giving this one  a shot. I am not disappointed in the least! 

No comments:

Post a Comment