Tuesday, May 30, 2017

MAYrathon 2.0 Day 30 - Mountain Lion (a 16 year journey)


There's something about coming full circle, and there's almost a poetry to it. Let me explain. Growing up, the family had a time share in Myrtle Beach, and we spent many adventures there during my teen years. I like Myrtle Beach so much that my friends and I decided to go there for Spring Break during our senior year of High School. The hotel was a dump and we weren't able to buy booze legally, but we made the best of it. What stands out most during that trip was two items. One was a key chain of  pig that pooped; I even made a song of it, much to the chagrin of my friends. And second, was the local Food Lion grocery store's off-brand version of Mountain Dew called Mountain Lion. I was obsessed with how stupid it is and began to notice every grocery store seemed to have their own Mountain flavored soda. We even made a commercial about it and was probably my first foray into soda reviewing. 

In my early 20s, my best friend Andy and I went to Myrtle Beach during the last year my parents had the time share. Of course, it was my destiny to once again quench my thirst with stupid Mountain Lion and make fun of goobers in camouflage in the middle of a hot beach.

Eleven years have gone by since that trip, and I haven't thought much about Myrtle Beach. Then I had a series of unfortunate events overcome me in early 2017. I was able to pick myself up, but not without a lot of moral support and time. I realized, if I wanted to move forward, I needed to take a spiritual journey of sorts. To go out on my own for awhile and just...be. I of course thought of Myrtle Beach which is where I am today. And I of course had to get me some Mountain Lion. The bottle may look different, it may now advertise its MAXIMUM taste, and even the size of the bottle is different. But it's still good old Mountain Lion. And it tastes...like a cheap Mt. Dew knockoff. But it's MY cheap Mt. Dew knockoff dammit! Thanks, Mountain Lion, for being a part of my teens, twenties and thirties. See you in six years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment