Sunday, May 21, 2017

MAYrathon 2.0 Day 21 - Ri-Chee Milk Flavor Crunch Snack

Flavors. It's what makes the world unique. If it weren't for flavors, we'd all be drinking water and eating kale and probably living to a fit and trim 110 years of age on average. But we as as species are an indulgent folk, and we love flavors. Your favorite soda? Your favorite beer? Your favorite pizza topping. It's all a personal taste based on its...well...taste. We all enjoy different flavors, and I for one have experienced a ton of them. From crickets to scorpions and teriyaki soda to ox tail soup, I've tasted my fair share of tastes and flavors. But there's one that feels like it should be left alone. One particular flavor that is so unique and yet so normal, that the formula need not be messed with. But today, we cross that path and look at Ri-Chee - a milk flavored snack.

Milk has always been the quintessential - it exists and it's ok drink. While people have spent years adding to it with flavors like chocolate, banana and even marshmallow peeps, I've never seen a food that is meant to taste like milk. What does that even mean? This Philippines snack comes to us from the Nutri Snack company, and here's what it claims on the back: "The only milk you can eat! Imagine your milk as a crunch snack and voila! You have Ri-Chee crunchy snack! It's the crunchy snack you'll enjoy eating with almost the same goodness of your everyday milk, only more delicious!" First of all, Are you really going to introduce the concept of "voila!" to the Philippines? And second, I love that it says ALMOST the same goodness; it's basically saying, "why aren't you just drinking a milk, douche?"

Let's check this bag out. Milk powder is the fifth ingredient along with sugar, coconut, butter, flout and some random chemicals. I bust open the bag, and it's weird to say it, but it smells like milk. I'm actually a little surprised at that. I pop a few in my mouth and I'm at first surprised how sweet it is. I was expecting more of a chip, but this tastes a lot more like a sweetened cereal. It actually tastes just like KIX cereal which I haven't had in ages. I'm shocked how much I like this. It doesn't taste like milk per se, but that may actually be a good thing overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment