Saturday, December 17, 2016

The Twelve Days of POPmas Day 4: Basil Seed Drink (with Honey)

I should have just dedicated these twelve days to obscure Asian countries that I know nothing about because today we are visiting Taiwan. I am really learning just how uneducated I am when it comes to the Eastern World. I looked this one up on a map and Taiwan is a medium sized island east of China. Their main exports are machinery and electronics, and here is a list (I'm not kidding) of the most noteworthy Taiwanese people: Lien Chan, Chen Chang, Christina Chang, Jeff Chang, Camille Chen, Chang Chen, Cheer Chen, Chin-Feng Chen............Apparently they also export the letter C.

Christmas is Taiwan? Again, not celebrated for its religious reasons, but still enjoyed throughout the country; although the country does not recognize it as a national holiday and is considered a regular work day. Like Australia, it's a warmer time of the year during the Christmas season, and apparently, it has never snowed in Taiwan, like ever. And the strangest aspect of Christmas in Taiwan is that it's celebrated more like a Valentine's Day. If you're in a relationship, it's a date night. If you're single, you go out with friends. No gift giving or caroling - Taiwan keeps it cool and casual on December 25th. But because of an increasing Western influence, there are still plenty of Christmas related sights and sounds around the holidays. 

Does your basil come in dime bags?
This brings us to the Basil Seed Drink with Honey from Thailand. Just looking at the label, I can tell this is going to be a drink with chunks in it like Orbitz or toddler vomit. This comes to us from the Chin Chin brand because of course it does. Ingredients are simply water, basil seed, cane sugar, banana flavor and honey. The addition of banana flavor seems odd. What is my experience with basil? I honestly don't know. I know I've had it in different foods, but I don't know if I could point it out in a lineup of spices. If someone were to ask me if I wanted more basil in my food/drink/car, I would have to reply with a nervous "maybe"? I am certainly curious though as I know these chunky superfood drinks are all the rage now. (cracks open) Ironically, all I can smell is bananas. The first few sips were just watery banana flavored, so I decided to pour it into a glass, and now I wish I hadn't. The basil chinks came flying out and it looks like a salmon sperm bank in a glass. I got some basil chunks and now I can remember the taste of basil, but the problem is that they don't swallow well. Most of them just found homes in the crevices of my mouth while likely impregnating my gums with Taiwanese basil demon seed. No thanks. I'm pouring this down the garbage disposal and contacting a priest. 0.5 out of 4 Rudolph Noses. 

No comments:

Post a Comment