Friday, December 23, 2016

The Twelve Days of POPmas Day 10: Orangina


This has been an exciting year for me in regards to soda/beverages. Not only did I get to enjoy such classic 90s revivals as Crystal Pepsi, Ecto Cooler and Clearly Canadian, but I got to cross a few off my wishlist like Irn Bru, Jack Black Root Beer, and Crispy Fish Balls! That last one is best left forgotten. Speaking of wishlists, another that’s been at the top for a long time is Orangina. While not exactly impossible to find in the states, it is pretty rare, and like Irn Bru is to Scotland, Orangina’s popularity really stems from France. This is also one recommended to me by many of my friends who know of my proclivities to enjoying a rare beverage.

Christmas in France you say?
I’ll be honest, I figured, like Scotland and England, Christmas in France would be pretty similar to the American traditions, especially since so much American culture is French based. And while the typical stuff - reindeer, carols and Christmas lights are all the same, there are some interesting differences. For one thing, the French don’t really do the whole Christmas tree thing. They prefer to dress up traditional nativity scenes. So where do they leave their gifts? Apparently children leave their shoes by the fireplace in hopes that the more doofy, French version of Santa, Pere Noel, leaves fruits, nuts and small toys in their shoes. Whoopty Shit. My parents would have had a hell of a time fitting a Sega Genesis in my size fives! (American problems). There’s also a change of tradition feasts, which in France can include lobster, goose, Foie Gras, oysters and a traditional 13 dessert medley - count me in! Instead of milk and cookies for Santa, the French leave a wine soaked yule log burning overnight in case the Virgin Mary stops by for a nip of port (seriously)! Finally, there’s some crap about finding a bean in your cake and becoming queen for a day or something, but I’ll be honest, I didn't think there’d be so much crap about French Christmas, and I kinda want to try some Orangina, so I’m going to go ahead and wrap this up right now. Joyeux Noel!

Orangina_Naturally_Juicy_Amber_the_Doe-Print_Ad.jpgAs someone who likes to collect some of the more rare or exciting bottles and cans I try, I was bummed to see this one had a tear in the label, and it’s not the popular 8oz bottle that’s shaped like an orange. This is the bigger 16oz version. So if I like this, I’ll definitely be hunting it down again. The history of Orangina reads like a social studies book, so I’ll give you the gist of it. Orangina first met the public when a Spanish doctor started distributing it in Algeria. Over time it became the most popular beverage in French North Africa. Jean-Claude Beton took over in 1947, tweaked the recipe to appeal to more Eurpoean and North American taste buds, and eventually moved the entire production to France in the 1960s. From there, Orangina’s distribution rights was passed around like a slow kid in prison. A total of 14 companies sell and distribute Orangina including Fosters, Dr. Pepper and Mott’s (where mine came from). Despite so many different companies carrying the brand, they all adhere to strict guidelines and the flavor remains the same regardless of origin of production. Orangina is also famous for creating the “shake me!” logo. Finally, like Irn Bru, Orangina ran into some controversy regarding their ads depicting “sexy” anthropomorphic animals in risque situations.

WIN_20161222_16_21_06_Pro.jpgAlright, let’s get to my bottle. The label reminds me to gently shake and says that it is a Sparkling Citrus Beverage with Natural Pulp with 12% Juice and 2% Pulp. The other 86% includes the standard soda ingredients. Alright, I gently shook and opened the bottle to smell a what can best be described as a mimosa. Ok...here we go! Yea it pretty much tastes like a mimosa - champagne and orange juice. There’s some small orange chunks here and the aftertaste is decidedly metallic. It’s pretty good, but not the Earth-shattering experience I was hoping for. Like Irn Bru, I may have set my expectations a little too high for this one. Still glad to have finally tried it though! 3.5 out of 5 Rudolph Noses.

No comments:

Post a Comment