Friday, December 16, 2016

The Twelve Days of POPmas Day 3: Australian Style Hot Ginger Ale


Just got home after a long day, so this will probably be a short one. And a bit of a cheat, but more on that later. It's Australian Style Hot Ginger Ale.

Christmas in Australia! On Diggery Doo. On Wallaby. On Paul Hogan and Gibson. That's the extent of my Australian references. I also refuse to look up the spelling of diggery doo because I bleed American blood dammit! As expected, Christmas traditions are pretty similar in Australia and American except for one major difference - it's summertime! Instead of traditional holiday ham and snowmen, Australians celebrate with BBQs and water balloon fights. Santa wears sandals, and there's apparently a ton of random bush fires because Christmas typically falls on the hottest day of the year down under. This buzzfeed article shows some great comparisons between American and Australian Christmas. Right here

Alright so, not much in the way of funny, but like I said...long day! Let's try some Australian Style Hot Ginger Ale. So why is this one a cheat? Because technically it was made in America by the good folks at Rocket Fizz. But this one has been in my shelf for almost a year, and I have no other creative way of fitting this one in, so what the hell? First of all, what is Australian Style Hot Ginger Ale? The short answer is, no one knows. From what I can gather from the minimal, lazy research, it's a recreation of Australian's popular Bundaberg Ginger Beer. However, there's nothing that I can find about "hot" ginger ale/beer being an Australian drink. I think Rocket Fizz has some stock footage of a kangaroo lying around and decided to pull a fast one on us yanks. Either way, I AM a fan of spicy Ginger Ale. Goose Island makes one that is really, really good and I highly recommend seeking it out. Anywhoo, let's see what we got here...it smells a little like ginger ale, and a little like death. This one is definitely not in date, but there's no backing out now. It's got strong carbonation, decent ginger flavor, and it is indeed hot, after awhile. There's an after burn that comes on about fifteen seconds after swallowing. It's got some real heat! But it also tastes a bit old. This might be better if it were fresh, but we'll never know because I'll likely never buy it again. AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!  1.5 out of 5 Rudolph noses. So tired...I'm not even going to proofread this one. Publish. Post. Sleep.





No comments:

Post a Comment